Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bonneville 2010 begins

We (my son Rodney and me) arrived in Reno about 2 PM, caught a ride to friend Jim's body shop. He drove us to Stead airport to pickup the roadster. It was still there, all covered up and waiting for me. The battery was dead, I forgot to shut off the kill switch last June. We jumped it and it fired right up. A quick dinner and we are back to the hotel. It will be an early to bed night, 4:30 was very early this morning. I am not used to that. I am tired.
In the morning we will head to Wendover, on the 2 lane. Highway 50, its called "America's Loneliest Highway" 440 miles of desert beauty.........very few little towns.The other option is I80, probably 60 miles shorter, but no fun. It is a great drive. We will stop at the hanging tree, a big tree covered with hanging shoes, I forget the "why" of it, but always cool to see. I'll attach a picture of it tomorrow. About half way a neat little bar, an old pony express stop, has dollar bills stapled all over the low ceiling with names of places and people on them. That's always a good stopping place for a cool drink and a short rest.

No comments: