Sunday, August 22, 2010

Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Friday morning I took Rodney to the airport and headed for Casper, WY. I called friend Rick in Casper and found out he was going to Douglas, WY for the weekend. The State Fair was on, and a bunch of street rods were going to be in the parade. I got him to get me a room in Douglas, stopped at his house and drove with them to Douglas.
Just before I got to Casper, I saw a pickup and a trailer on the side of the road, the trailer was on fire. I hit the brakes, turned onto the side of the road, ran back with my fire extinguisher to help. Just as I got to the trailer, the tire blew up, boom!, boy was that loud! It was still on fire. I gave my extinguisher to the young guy, he sprayed the tire, and contents and got the fire out. They, 2 young kids about 25 had been pouring drinking water on it to try to kill the flames. There was a dozen or so bottles on the ground. The one kid was on the trailer, slipped and fell and hurt his shoulder. He was on the cell calling 911. The trooper and a fire rescue truck arrived after the fire was out. They were going to South Carolina, the trailer had everything they owned. A drum set, big speakers, mattress head board, TV stand all the things young kids have. When the trooper arrived, I wished them luck and left. The trailer was loaded so heavy that the tire was rubbing on the wooden fender humps in the trailer floor. The friction had started the tire and the wood fender humps on fire. I don't think they even had a spare.
Saturday morning about noon I left for Rapid City. I had breakfast with Rick and some street rodders. It was a short drive to Rapid, it was very hot. I was glad to stop in Rapid. This morning I left Rapid City about 8 AM. It got hot fast. It was a hot, windy hard drive. The wind was about 30 MPH blowing side ways against the car, it was 98 degrees......it was hot! I hit Brooking, SD about 5:30 PM and decided to call it quits! I found a Days Inn, cashed in my points for a free room, had a couple of cold beers and a burger at a sports bar and am going to crash in bed real soon. I plan to leave about 6AM and finish the trip home, before the heat. I will arrive a couple of days earlier than planned, but still have work to do at home with the storm damage. Oh yea, the speedo hit 50,000 miles just out of Casper, WY

No comments: