Saturday, December 11, 2010

RPU progress






Well the 3W went to the interior shop, so I got busy on the RPU. Dropped the engine in,fitted the steering column, mocked up the steering shaft with a wood dowel. Made an electric fan bracket out of some flat stock, sawed it out on the band saw, it fits and I like the look. I will powder coat it black next.
I got one side of the tonneau cover frame made, now I have to match it on the other side. The third brake light is in, a "flying eyeball" with red leds in the eye, its pretty bright too.
Tomorrow I hope to make the driver side tonneau frame. I have ordered the steering shaft from Speedway. It will be here Monday evening. I need to make a 1/4 inch spacer for the column drop, drill the dash for the bolts, install the 14 inch steering shaft and tighten the joints.
I need to get the exhaust system made, Central Welding in Foley is closed up, so I think I will go to West Side Welding in Mound...home of the "Porters" mufflers. I have always wanted to run Porters on something. I met Clark Babler and his wife in LA a couple of years ago, they own Porters, real nice people. We laughed that I had to drive 2500 miles to met people that live an hour from me. Check out there stuff at www.portermufflers.com

No comments: