Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday .....Mcalester, OK





We left Bethany, MO this morning and headed south on I 35 to Kansas City. I 435 around the west side of town and picked up 71 south. The first planned stop was Pete & Jakes in Peculiar, MO. I picked up a couple of posters and the front spring plate that I needed for the RPU. Then it was south on 71 again to Joplin, MO. Lunch at Steak and Shake in Joplin. I44 out of Joplin to OK.
Plans were to stop at Starbirds Rod & Custom museum in Afton OK, I checked the Internet and it shows closed on Tuesday,darn..... we would have been pressed for time anyway, so maybe on the way home. From I44 it was hwy 69 south to Mcalester.
Boy, Oklahoma gets the award for the roughest highways...except for I44 the toll road. Hwy 69 was so rough! Every 20 ft they had sawed a stripe for a patch, not one of the patches were even with the road surface, they were either higher or lower. It was like driving on a washboard. The the wind was still with us all day too, from the south. So it was a strong headwind, felt like driving with the brakes on, when going west, it was a cross wind, tried to blow me off of the road. Finally the last 40 miles or so, the wind slowed down and the road smoothed out.
We are staying at the "Happy Days" motel, (Rodney and I stayed here a few years back on the roadster trip). Now there is a new diner out front called "Angel's Diner". The food was good, (not free) but we did get 2 coupons from the motel for "Free Beer"....that works!!
Tomorrow its another 400+ mile day to San Antonio, TX.......Alamo, here we come!

No comments: