Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Monday/Tuesday




After 13 hours and 693 miles we arrived in St George, UT. It was a good day. We arrived at Rocky Mtn Street rods at 6:30, I used their jack and adjusted my brakes a couple of clicks. We all left at 7:15, plans were to meet Vern on the freeway, he had some last minute problems and did not show, so a quick stop and we were off. It was a beautiful drive down I70, thru Eisenhower tunnel, wow...snow at the entrance, it is a couple of miles long and goes downhill all the way. Lots of snow in the mountains. Lots of water in the rivers, almost overflowing.
Lunch was in Frisco where we picked up one more guy. After Grand Junction, it was Utah. Some big steep uphill grades, my RPU did not like the heat, elevation and the steep grades. It felt like a giant hand holding me back. We pulled over and everyone agreed it was vapor lock. Down the road somewhere we stopped at a NAPA, I bought some 1 inch heater hose, split it a covered the fuel line for insulation, did not help. I kept on going, struggling up the hills, I figured out if I let off on the gas, the fuel would catch up and it would run better for a bit. Made for a long day.
We got to the hotel about 8:30, checked into the room. I was tired.
This morning it was off again. At the gas stop in Vegas I decided I would buy a new fuel pump just in case mine was weak and might crap out in the middle of the desert.
It did not, but it still ran like crap. I also bought some insulation wrap, wrapped the fuel line over the heater line wrap,....no help. Somewhere in the desert, we stopped, I removed the hood side for more air flow...no help. The last 50 miles is downhill, I could run at 80 and ran well. Today's trip was 250 miles, the desert in the middle of the day is HOT, I think it was 95 degrees.
I bought an electric pump tonight and am going to Fred's Wiring to use his lift to install it in the morning. Nice to know people!! Fred builds some awesome cars and is only 15 minutes from the hotel.
Last night I lost both headlights, luckily it was in the hotel lot. I fixed them here tonight, the bulbs were loose in the sockets, they are tight now!!
The trip so far is 1968 miles, just a little aggrevation, no real troubles, real troubles are when you are on a flatbed. LOL
Vern got fixed and meet up at the hotel tonight. Tomorrows plan is to fix the car and then tour some shops.

No comments: