Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday...Sioux City, IA

We left Johnson's house this morning at 9 AM. We drove south west on Hwy 23, then onto 71 towards Worthington, MN. As we were getting gas in Worthington, a nice lady came over to talk to me about the Buick. Then she asked if I had ever been to Spomer's. She said it was an old dealership in town with cars and many signs. It sounded very interesting. She gave me the mans name and I headed for the phone book. I found his number and called him and asked if we could come by. He said sure! Away we went.
Wow what a neat place. About 2 dozen cars and 100's of neon signs, all porcelain type. Most were car brands, but a few hotel, tractor brands and the like thrown in. They were all restored. He gave us the grand tour for about 1 1/2 hours, could have spent more time. Every sign had a story about where it came from. Clocks, signs, dealer stuff, pedal cars, scooters..............cool stuff.
I took photos but the camera cord is in the car and I don't want to go get it, I will post them tomorrow.
We took off on Hwy 60 towards Sioux City...85 miles to go. I heard a pop and saw rubber blowing off of Jerry's rear tire. He had a blowout. Boy did it destroy the tire. We changed to the spare and was back on the road in a few minutes.
Next stop was in Lamar, at the World Famous Blue Bunny ice cream shop and museum. The ice cream was great.
We arrived in Sioux City about 6:30, had a beer and went to dinner. A good day, maybe Jerry doesn't agree, with the blow out, but overall a good day.
Wat5ch for photos tomorrow.

No comments: