Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday

We should be home tonight but are still in Madison, WI. The vicky had a problem. It sheared two bolts in the rear that connects the lower control arm to the center section. When I discovered the problem, I called an old friend (we used to live here), he called a friend that now lives in Denver and they got a hold of another friend that runs a shop in Madison. Sure is nice to know people. The shop called me at 8 AM this morning, told me to come in and they would help. The shop was about 20 miles away. I told Nystroms and Johnsons to go on home and we took off for the shop. Archer Automotive, real nice guy. we got the car on one of his lifts and surveyed the problem. Had to dissemble the complete right side suspension to get to the bolts to drill them out. One was a real bugger, but he finally got it. Now, find new bolts...7/16-14 about 2 inches long...with a tapered head, that was the problem. Joe from Archer called several places, even a Toyota place because they use something similar, no one has any! I suggested using a tapered cone washer, he could not locate them either.
Elvis and I decided to go to lunch, a couple of blocks away, next door to the CarQuest that he called. After lunch we went to CarQuest I asked about the washers and the counter guy said no......the other counter guy overheard and said yes we do! and they did have. I bought two ($3) and walked them back to the shop. Dumb counter guy!! He must have answered the phone too.
Joe and I finally got it all back together, its a bitch to put together, you need at least four hands and two jacks.
I paid the bill, $300.00, not bad for that many hours.We drove out of there at about 5PM, headed back to my favorite hotel (LaQuinta) and got a room. No reason to drive in the late afternoon hot weather. We will head out early in the morning, 350 miles to go. The joys of "ya gotta drive'm!" but it sure beats trailering any day.

I have to get home to finish the Buick's brakes so we can leave Monday morning for the 30th annual "KKOA Leadsled Spactacular" in Salina KS. We will be driving with Doris and Jerry Johnson, will be another fun trip.

No comments: