Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sunday/Monday

It was a nice drive to Altoona on Sunday. I took my time and made a couple of stops. I had to check out the "Worlds Largest Truck Stop"....Iowa 80. It was pretty cool and very large!
I arrived at the hotel about 2 PM. Shortly after I got a call from the fronk desk, some one was there to see me. It was friend Matt Sullivan from Cedar Rapids. He was driving by in his channeled deuce 5W coupe and saw my RPU in the lot. Cool. It was good to see him, His car is on the cover of Henry Gregor Felsen's book Hot Rod. Henry;s daughter Holly is re-releasing the books again. I read it in Jr High. Holly lives in Des Moines and is building a 3W.
The Rolling Bones started arriving about 6PM, right on time. The first to arrive was Keith and Billy O pulling on of the race coupes. The others followed in very soon. Billy O is from Connecticut, I have known him for 25 years or more. One of  newest builds was driven by Tom McIntyre from CA. It was the maiden voyage for it. Powered by a Red Ram Dodge hemi...I checked that over closely. That is the same engine I will have in the Fordor. My friend Bart from VT was driving his copped deuce roadster, he is one of the drives in Billy O's roadster. I met Bart on a Street Rodders tour several years back.
Monday morning I had breakfast with them and then headed north towards home....It was hard not to turn west and follow them onto Dennis's shop in NE for lunch.
I received an email today ...from the "mystery follower" that I mentioned last week. Larry Henderson from AR....I remember that is what he said, but could not recall that later. Thanks Larry for emailing. Glad you enjoy my blog. If any one wants to add a comment, I hear it is hard to do so on the blog, send me an email..I would love to hear from you. Sometimes I think I just talk to myself!!
Monday morning early I fly to South Carolina to drive home a 32 fordor...I know I have one already, but so what...I like this one too. I have my clothes and tool bag packed, will be an exciting trip...uneventful hopefully but still exciting. I bought this from photos and thru a new friend's description on the cell phone. I met the new friend Wednesday in the parking lot....but he is a "deuce guy" He went home and called me and told me all about the car. The owner did not know a lot about it. Sure hope it all works out!!
Be sure to check in Monday night, I plan to write about it and maybe attach a pic or two.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dale, You bet, I will be waiting for pics of the new ride!