Sunday, September 22, 2013

Saturda/Sundayy

A beautiful cool day at the Indy 500 track. We parked in the special parking of the Hot Rod of the Year cars....lots of fun. I saw many friends from all over...a great fun day. The weather was cool..like 70ish...really nice and no rain. At 5 PM I lined up for the track cruise again. I had my friend Adam Bateman from Wizards products riding as co pilot. I had fun, He said he did also. I saw my young friend Josh Bolles from Tennessee. Josh rode with me one year to Bonneville a few years back, it was great to see him again.
Greg was awarded the Magnum Axle award and Kevin won the Young Guys pick...congrats to  both of them.
After the track cruise Adam and I headed out to in the rpu with Greg, Dave, Kevin and Gary Heidts to  Jokerr's Fabrication open house , movie night and free food party. Wow...what a cool place. Sprint cars, rails, hot rods, he does it all. A great meal, cool t shirts and an outdoor movie showing of Deuce of Spades. So much fun.It just never ends. His place is in an industrial complex and all the neighbors are hot rod or race car shops.....cool.
We finished the night at the Library having some late night snacks and adult beverages. A fun day.
This morning it was back to the 500 track, or at least that was my plan. As I left the hotel parking lot I hit the brake pedal to stop at the corner and right to the floor it went...no brakes at all. I first thought I would limp it to the track and fix it there...but as i hit the next red light i could not stop at all so I parked in an empty lot, told Greg to go ahead, he had to be there by 10 AM for the winner parking area. I thought for a few minutes then remember Jokerr Fab shop...I had his number...called him, told him my problem and he said he would be there with his trailer within an hour Friend Don from Rockford, IL drove up and waited with me.. We loaded the rpu on the trailer...kicking and screaming but she did roll onto it and off to his shop a few miles away.
There were no leaks to be found so pulled the master cylinder and headed to O'Riley's. I thought it came from a Pinto but that did not match up so after a few minutes of searching we found a 69 Falcon for drum with  manual brakes...looked good. Not stocked at the store, but the warehouse had three and it was only 5 minutes away and open on Sunday. Off to the warehouse  Don and I went. They had it pulled for us, opened the box and was not the right one. A little more searching then decided to pull another one, same part number, opened the box and bingo...that was it. I guess they made different shape ones with the same part number. Any way back to Jokerrs and get it back together. Got it on, bleed the brakes and no have great brakes again. All that messing around pretty much shot the day, we got to the show at 2:25 PM just in time to watch most of the awards.
 As I have said before...with all the hard luck I have had, I have great good luck....if it had to break that was the best time and place for it to happen It could have happened Friday during the rain or tomorrow a hundred miles down the road.
Oh yes...I almost forgot, The Hot Rod of the Year was won by George Poteet's 34 coupe built by Dave Lane.....nise car is an understatement. I didn't feel bad with that kind of competion!! I had a blast.

No comments: