Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day one

Made it to Nebraska about 10PM tonight...a long ride...740 miles. I left at 7:15, picked up Rodney in Mpls about 8:30 and headed southwest. About Mankato is started to rain, the farther we went the heavier it got. When we hit I90 I stopped and called my sister in NE to check the weather map. She said it cleared out west of Mitchell, SD. We stopped for lunch in Sioux Falls, after lunch we could see a bit of light in the west, within 50 miles it had stopped raining...finally! It was really coming down east of Sioux Falls!! It rained a bit 3 more times on I90. At Murdo we headed south towards NE. I found out that it is 91 miles from Valentine, NE to Gordon NE with only 2 little towns in between with closed gas stations. We stopped at Cody for a break, gas station closed with 60 miles to go, check the gas...no way. We found 2 guys standing outside the bar, Rodney asked about gas and was told there is 1 station in town but closed for the night....but the owner lived right down the street, we could go ask him to open. Rodney said "I will go ask!" He said he would open and he did. We got 9 gallons in a 11 gal tank...at 16 mpg 2 gallons would have been short...felt like Jimmy Johnson in the nascar race!! Nice to have friendly mid west gas station owners around. It got cold with the sun going down, the seat heaters felt good. like I said we arrived about 10 PM, had some dinner, nice visit and went to bed, I slept good.
This morning I washed the car and fixed the cooling fan. After checking it out I found it had a bad ground, don't know why, I re grounded it to the motor mount and it all works again. We did not need it traveling, but I noticed it at a stop light in down town Mpls. Good to fix it now instead of in LA hot weather traffic. In the morning we will head to Denver. Will meet with Rodney's friend for dinner and then meet with more hot rods Monday morning.
Its is a fun time..............."A cold wet day in a roadster is better than any day at work"

1 comment:

DEUCE DADDY DON said...

Hey Dale,will you be coming this way again like last year?? I'll do lunch again!----Don