Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 1...made it to Kansas City

After a late start this morning, I made it to KC about 6:30. The roofer guy came by for a final inspection, had to go by the bank to cash a check, dropped off the exhaust manifolds at RP...all took time. I made it on the road at 9:30. I stopped for gas in Lakeville, Clear Water, IA, an 2 other places. I was getting a bit over 18 MPG..I'm happy with that!!
My avg speed was 66.7...top speed was 84.9 drove 530 miles.
About 50 miles out of KC the volt meter started acting up.....going up to 16 volts then back to the normal 14...the AC blower was surging, I turned on the headlights, that seemed to hold it even for a while, then it started again...the gauge lights would sort of go bright and dim.....I think its a regulator problem.
I checked in to the hotel, my new favorite brand...La Quinta ( I can use the Walgreen corp rate there, almost like free food) and across the lot is a Advance Auto. I drove there and had them check the charging system with their little computer thing. Battery good, starter good, alternator ..no volts, even tho the gauge shows 13.9 at idle and at 2500 rpms....the guy said I don't have a clue!! I still think the regulator is going bad. I bought a new alt....$44, not bad insurance. I will change it in the morning. It is dark now.
Right across the street is an Applebees.....so I had a salad and two beer specials., life is good.
Plans are in the morning change the alt, then hit the road, 500 miles to go to get to Weathersford, TX, just west of Ft Worth. I will spend the night there with friend Charlie then drive to Austin on Thursday.
It was a good day................................Dale

No comments: