Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday


We found a coin op laundry and took care of all the dirty clothes. We headed for Limeworks in Whittier where I bought a new steering wheel and column drop for the RPU. The next stop was to be Poor Boys Hot Rods. We stopped for a sandwich and noticed the tail pipe rear support had lost the bolt and rubber insulator. No problem I had spares with me. As I crawled under the car I also noticed the center exhaust bracket had broken at the weld. While I was under the car an older gentleman walked up and was telling us how he drove his 32 from NJ to CA in 1947. Took him 7 months, he had to stop and get part time jobs to pay for the trip. What a neat ol guy. He suggest that he lead us to a Midas Muffler shop to weld the bracket, about 3 miles away. So off we all went. The shop was very helpful, had me on a lift in minutes, I took care of the rear bolt and insulator and he welded the center bracket. All set to go again.
We made it to Poor Boys, got a quick tour, talked with owner Dan for a bit. He used to work for Boyd during the TV show days. The next stop was Kugel's. looked around there and got to talk with Jerry about his roadster runs at Bonneville. He drove it there and back. While there he went 225, his son did 223 and daughter did 215 MPH, all pretty cool.
We headed for the hotel about 3:30 to beat the rush hour. We drove the car pool lane and made it here in 30 minutes
In the morning we meet Jim and the Hot Rod Tours guys and tag with them to several shops and private collections.

No comments: