Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Made it to LA

We made it to LA about noon. We left the Apache Motel at 4 AM, I'm sure the other guests were not happy to hear 9 hotrods fire up at 4 AM. In just the first dark few miles, traveling on a very rough stretch of road I hit a big pot hole with the left front wheel, pop went the hubcap off into the dark. I stopped, Rodney jumped out to look for it, then I did too. The problem was, I did not have the rpu in gear and when I looked back at the car it was rolling slowly to the edge of the dark road.....over the edge but luckily jammed itself to a stop on a rock wall. I failed to mention I was next to last in the group, the others were gone out of sight. Ray was in the other car. he had a tow strap but the car was wedged on the rock wall. After a few minutes, a fellow Deuce friend Jack Linden driving his suburban with his roadster on a trailer pulled up. Riding with him was another Deuce friend Jerry Malady. Jack turmed around and we tied the strap to his trailer. By that time the other 6 cars had come back. We all lifted the rpu up off of the rock wall while Jack pulled it back. After about three tries it worked and we were back on the road and off of the ledge. It appeared OK. The starter was jammed, so a few rocks back and forth with it in gear popped that loose, I hit the starter, it fired up, took it for a short test drive and all felt OK. We were back on the road by a bit after 5 AM, only shot a good hour with all that mess. Thanks Jack, Jerry and all of the "Greybeards" for the rescue!!

It was a 360 mile day, across the hot desert and a very windy one for part of it. There is a windmill farm just outside of LA that has 100's or maybe 1000's of windmills, makes Pipstone, MN look lke toys.
We had to stop by Hope, AZ sign that says "Beyond Hope" a fun picture place.
We arrived at the hotel without any other excitment. I headed to the Early Ford Store to buy a new hubcap, never could find mine. At three we had a private tour of SoCal speed shop then it was over to Robert's house (a friend of the greybeard's) for pizza, beer and a place to clean up the cars. Its now 9PM, we have dirty clothes in the laundry, I've been up since 3AM drove 360 miles in the hot sun, almost lost the car over a cliff...I'm going to bed!!
One last thing......last week a friend told me bad things comes in threes.......the Buick incident, the rock in my face, and now this little deal....I should be good to go the rest of the trip!!
  

No comments: