Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Deuceguy takes a Buick trip

We left Wednesday about noon to drive to my old home town of Alliance, NE. My 50th high school reuninon is happening May 31 and June 1. The local car club is also having their 13th annual car show...how convenient. Since I drove my high school 32 coupe to the 40th reunion I thought it was fitting to drive the 50 Buick to the 50th.
We got no more than 20 miles from home when the skies opened up and piured rain for the next half hour or so. Oh well the car wont melt and its been wet before. As we drove into Pipestone, MN the Buick developed a terrible miss, would hardly run, black smoke, shaking....what the heck?? I pulled the plugs, all black off course...its running very rich. I thought it might be a speck of dirt in the carb, that happened before as few years back. I tried to suck it thru by reving it up and then choking it off with my hands till it almost dies......no luck. It was just about 5 o'clock, I decided I needed help before everything is closed up. I found a small repair shop just a block away. I approached the guy there, told him of my problem. He came out to the car to check it out. I pulled the plugs, he went inside and blasted them all clean, put them back in and no change. After about an hour ans a half we discovered the secondaries were stuck open. No wonder it was burning rich!! Not sure why they stuck but sure runs better when closed!! We were off again by 6PM on tne way to Mitchell, SD.
We arrived in Mitchell by 8:30 at the hotel just minutes before the skies opened again.
The next morning we headed for hometown.
Just out of town is an unique rest area, I hope to attach a photo. We also checked out the famous Car Henge.
The class reunion was fun. Nice to see old classmates. Many I have not seen for 50 years.
Saturday/Sunday was the car show...lots of fu, lots of nice comments on the "Fine Wine" Buick. We won first in class, and Long Distance...bought me a full tank of gas!! I was told our car received the most votes of any car of all of the last 13 shows...that was pretty cool. We are on the way home in the morning...I leave Thursday AM for LARS in California in the RPU.

No comments: