Friday, June 28, 2013

update...............a little late

We made it to North Platte, missed the tornado in Denver!! Good thing. The next night was Des Moines to visit good friend Dave. As we drove thru Lincoln, we stopped by to see Roger at his sign/body shop. In Omaha we meet up with Barry driving his copper 47 coupe. We drove together to Des Moines, it was a good drive but very windy. In Des Moines we, Dave, Barry and me went to a cruise night at Bennigans, that was a good time. Cheap food, lots of cars and BS.
After a great night at Dave's house we meet up with several other cars from Des Moines for the drive to St Paul for the 50's. Registration was a zoo as usual...I don't know why they can't find a better place to register, it is always congested, cars overheating, a real mess. I think the officials are in the hotel doing the registration and don't have a clue what is happening outside.
 When I was at the exit off of 694 turning left to get to the hotel, I practiced what I learned living for 14 years in the east coast.....push your way thru!! I drove up the left lane to the hotel turn in, found a little hole and drove thru. The rest of the group did their "midwest friendly" driving and waited in line for 45 minutes.
The 50's was a fun time, 12,030 registered cars...lots of people. It stormed hard Friday night, we made it back to the hotel just in time to zip the tonneau cover on and headed inside. It blew, rained sideways, got black, a real mess. Saturday was a nice day but storm warnings for Saturday night. It did not hit until about 5AM, we moved both cars to the front door canopy for protection. It was not as bad as Friday night. I waited for the rain to stop and then drove to the fairgrounds to walk the swap meet. Lots of stuff, lots of people, I was surprised that more did not stay away or head for home. I found a couple of treasures. We left the fairgrounds about 4PM and headed for Rice. About 40 miles from home there was a terrible racket from under the hood, I switehed off the engine and heasded for the curb, raised the hood and found that the alternator bolt had come loose, dropped ther spacer to who knows where and the pully was rubbing on the hood side making the noise. The longest bolt I had with me was 2 inches and I needed a 3 inch one, plus a
 1 3/4 spacer. I just removed the alternator, secured the wire so it would not ground out, and drove the last 40 miles on the battery.
Monday was spent clearing branches, limps and brush from our storm torn yard. We lost 3 big oaks and one of them fell on a flowering crab, it will have to go too. Monday night it was off to the Copper for the Hoodlum cruise night, a fsir turn out and a good time.
Today I was chgecking out the 3W, getting it ready for the trip next week to Des Moines and onto Columbus for 2 weeks. I repaired the alternator bracket on the rpu so she is ready to go where ever. I test drove the Buick, it is all fixed, the brakes are better than ever and the new axle and repaired rear works well.
I still need to test the AC in the 3W tomorrow, then finish packing the trunk for the trip.

No comments: