Thursday, June 14, 2007

We left Lake Havasu at 6AM to beat the dessert heat. It was 300 miles acros the Majave dessert and did not want to be out there in the afternoon sun. We stopped for gas in Needles, saw the coolest bike, a 3 wheeler powered by a VW rabbit engine, not air cooled, all 3 wheels had pod covers, painted flat army green, with a white star on the rear ones. The fenders were pieced together metal with unground weld seams, sort of a rat rod bike. Behind the seat was a pile of bags about 3 feet high all tied down. A older woman was driving/riding it about 65 or so, she told me she was from the state of Washington, "the kids are gone away, I sold the house and I'm going to Maine" She said you have your childhood there, I have mine!
We had a late breakfast in Barstow.
I drank 2 cups of coffee at the hotel, 2 more, 2 big glasses of water and a large glass of milk at Barstoe breakfast. I must have been about 3 quarts low, because I did not pea untill I had 2 bottles of pop here at the hotel!!
We arrived at the hotel about noon, nice ride, only about 90 in the dessert, much cooler than yesterday, and several hours earlier. There were several totaly black trucks and vans drving thru the dessert, dark glass, big black boxes on the back, they had a periscope type thing on top, must be some sort of narc trucks, weird!
We checked in, washed the cars, I swam, relaxed. Nice to wind down.
Gordy drove to Kugels to get his rear springs replaced and a new rear gear section installed, he is all happy now!
Kenny Larson is here with his roadster too. We have been in the parking lot BSing since dinner.
Tommorow at noon is the SoCal open house. That is always a fun time with hundreds of rods showing up.
Saturday we will be heading for the Fairplex at 6:30 or so, I hope. At least that is my plan. They did not seem to keen on leaving that early. I may go alone.

No comments: