Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Friday

I woke up to rain on Friday. It came down pretty heavy for the first 40 miles, as long as I was driving I did not get wet. I did not stop!! I drove west to Kodoka, SD, then turned south to US18, that was a big mistake. The first 20 or so miles of blacktop was rough as a cob, ruts and bumps, then construction, or maybe destruction is a better word. There was no road, just dirt, mud, gravel, bumps, at one point I had to stop and wait for a pilot truck to guide me thru the mess. This all went on for 20 long miles. But I made it thru. I stopped in Martin SD for gas. A guy pulled up and started talking about 32's, told me one just sold from an old guy from my hometown, darn one got away. After doing some research at home, I found out there was one there, a 5w with the rear quarters cut off and a dump box added. I knew who the owner was. An interesting thought, my dad and I had a coupe like that in the 60's, we dug it out of the sandhills, took the parts we needed and sold it to someone, I don't remember who, I wonder if it is the same car. Oh well, its gone. I stopped in Rushville, NE to visit my cousin and have lunch. We went to his friends shop and saw his 62 Pontiac restoration, real nice...and a neat 50 Hudson custom being built. I arrived in hometown about 2 PM and headed for the car wash.

No comments: